If you have just moved to Mac from Windows, chances are you might miss using Internet Explorer. The no-fuss interface makes it an easy-to-use browser and you have already got the hang of it, so we know why you need it on your Mac.
However, downloading Internet Explorer 11 on a Mac is not a piece of cake since you won’t find it on the Apple App Store or Microsoft’s official website (source). This article will help you use Internet Explorer 11 on a Mac. We’ve listed multiple methods, so if one does not work, you can try the other one.
- Methods to Use Internet Explorer 11 on Mac
- Method 2: Install Windows on a Mac
- Pros and Cons of Using Parallels Desktop 17
- Pros and Cons of Using WMWare Fusion
- Method 3: Using TeamViewer
- Frequently Asked Questions
Methods to Use Internet Explorer 11 on Mac
There are three ways to use this browser on Mac. Though, in some methods, you won’t be able to download Internet Explorer for Mac. Read these methods, try them out, and you can use your favorite browser on your new system.
Method 1: Emulate Internet Explorer Using Browsers: Safari and Chrome
Emulate it Using Safari
The easiest way to use Internet Explorer 11 on your Mac PC is to emulate it through Safari. As the Safari browser comes pre-installed, things get pretty convenient. Moreover, emulating the browser does not require changing the operating system, and you don’t have to change the settings.
Follow the steps mentioned below, and you can quickly use Internet Explorer.
- Launch Safari on your Mac, and click on Preferences at the top of the bar.
- Choose the Advanced tab located in the far-right corner at the top.
- Navigate to the Show Development Menu and check the box in the menu bar. Now close Preferences, and tap on the Developer option within the Safari menu.
- Choose User-Agent, and you can open the browser like Internet Explorer.
You’ll get a range of browser options, including Internet Explorer 11. If you don’t get an option to choose Explorer 11, you’ll see Explorer 10 or 9, depending on the macOS you are using. Choose Internet Explorer, and you are good to go.
Emulate it Using Chrome
If the Safari method does not work, you can try using Chrome. Download Chrome on your Mac PC, and launch the browser. Follow these steps to use Internet Explorer 11 on your system.
- After opening the Chrome browser, go to the View option.
- Choose Developer and then click on Developer Tools.
- You’ll get a pop-up, navigate to Console at the top bar, and choose Network Conditions.
- Click on User-Agent, and deselect “select automatically.” Now click on Custom Menu, and select a new browser that you want to use.
- Choose Internet Explorer 11, and you can start using it.
Note: Once you close the browser and reopen it, you’ll get Chrome. Follow the aforementioned steps again to use Internet Explorer on a Mac.
Method 2: Install Windows on a Mac
If you don’t want the hassle of configuring the browser every time you want to use Internet Explorer, you can install Windows OS on Mac. Internet Explorer 11 is available for Windows; therefore, you can use the browser conveniently.
The process of installing Windows on an Intel Mac and an M1 Mac is different, and we’ve explained it separately. Also, we’ve recommended some tools you can use:
How to Install Windows on M1 Macs
For M1 Macs, the only reliable option to install Windows is through Parallels Desktop 16. The tool is safe to use and works smoothly on any M1 machine.
- Click here to download Parallels Desktop 17 on your system, and install it.
- Go to Microsoft’s official website and register as Windows Insider to download Windows 10. Open the Windows 10. VHDX file in Parallels and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Install the Windows on your Mac PC, and log in to your Parallels account to complete the process.
Whenever you want to use Internet Explorer 11, you can launch Parallels Desktop 17 and use the browser in it.
Pros and Cons of Using Parallels Desktop 17
There are a few pros and cons of using this app, and you should know about them before installing Windows on a Mac.
- Easy to set up and use
- No need to reboot your PC
- It saves disk space
- Office 365 Integration
- It requires systems with higher RAM
- Your system may get hot quickly
How to Install Windows on Intel Macs
In order to install Windows on an Intel Mac, you need to copy a few virtual machine software, including VMware Fusion. The tool lets you run Windows OS on a Mac without any hassles.
- Download and install VMware Fusion on your Mac, and download the Windows ISO File as well.
- Launch VMware and in the installation method, select “Create a new custom virtual machine.”
- Now drag and drop the Windows ISO file on the dialogue box and tap on Finish.
- Wait for some time, and relaunch VMWare Fusion.
- Click on the Play button, and you can use Windows on your PC.
You can now install Internet Explorer 11 and use it on your Mac.
Pros and Cons of Using WMWare Fusion
- There is a free version available
- It does not eat a lot of RAM
- Easy to use
- You can download other Windows software as well
- Free version has limited features
- May not work on all Mac machines
Method 3: Using TeamViewer
Though this method will not install Internet Explorer on your Mac, you can still use the browser through someone else’s Windows PC. And if you also own a Windows PC, then you can use TeamViewer to get access to it and then use the browser.
- Click here to download TeamViewer. Install the app and launch it.
- Send a link from your Mac to the system you want to use Internet Explorer on.
- That system should also have TeamViewer installed. Accept the link, and you’ll get remote access to the Windows PC.
Note: This method will not get Internet Explorer 11 on your Mac. And all the downloads that you make will go on the Windows PC you are using the browser on. This method is only ideal for general browsing.
Frequently Asked Questions
There is no direct way to download Internet Explorer on a Mac. Either you need to simulate it through a browser or install Windows on your Mac PC to use the browser.
No, Safari and Internet Explorer are two different browsers, and both have different features.
Yes, it is safe to download and install Windows OS on Mac. However, you need to be sure about using secure software such as Parallels Desktop 17. Also, download the Windows from a legit website.
We hope this “how to download Internet Explorer 11 for Mac guide” has helped you get the browser and use it. All the methods we’ve explained are convenient and will work for sure. Do you know any other methods to get Internet Explorer on a Mac? Do let us know in the comments section!