There’s nothing more relaxing and entertaining than scrolling through Instagram, finding reels, and sending them to the people you love! However, this is only limited to your smartphone, since sending DMs through Mac was not an option sometime before, at least on the official website.
But, there’s a catch. Using a few tried-and-tested methods, you can send direct messages through your Mac. And not just that, you can receive messages as well. This guide is all about Instagram DMs for Mac.
You’ll find multiple ways that work, and a complete process explaining how to use each of them. Let’s get started.
- Method 1: Use the Official Website
- Method 2: Use IG:dm (The Easiest Method)
- Method 3: Use Direct Message for Instagram Pro 4.4 (A feature-loaded app)
- Final Thoughts
Method 1: Use the Official Website
Instagram now lets people send and receive DMs though the official website, and that does not require any additional steps. All you need to do is:
- Visit the official website: www.instagram.com, and enter your login credentials.
- Click on the Direct Message icon, and you’ll get a list of chats displayed on the screen.
- You can initiate a new chat, and do a lot more things conveniently.
Pros and Cons of Using Instagram.com for Mac
- It does not require downloading an app
- Quick and easy
- You can send and receive photos and videos
- It also supports notifications on Mac
- You cannot access all features like the Instagram mobile app
- You need to keep the browser open to use it
Method 2: Use IG:dm (The Easiest Method)
Out of all methods we’ve tried, using IG:dm is the easiest. The app is available to download on your Mac computer, and you can quickly set it up to send/receive direct messages. Follow the below-mentioned steps and you can set up IG:dm on your PC.
- Click here to visit the official website and download the IG:dm app on your system.
- Click on macOS, and the .dmg fill will be downloaded to your system. Open the app and install it.
- Launch the app on your Mac computer, and enter your log in credentials.
- Once done, you’ll be able to see a list of direct messages you have sent to people. Click on anyone’s profile from the list and you can send them a DM.
Some Other Features offered by IG:dm
Apart from letting you send DMs to your favorite people, the app offers plenty of features. Below is a list of features that make IG:dm an amazing app for Instagram DMs for Mac.
Disable Read Receipts
If you don’t want people to know that you have read their messages, you can disable read receipts. You will still be able to continue the conversations without any issues.
Save Images and Videos
The app lets you save images and videos in Instagram posts that have been shared with you over chat. You can find these saved images and videos on your Instagram mobile app.
This feature is quite impressive, as the app lets you check the people that are not following you back. You can also unfollow them from the IG:dm app, and things can’t be more convenient.
Pros and Cons of Using IG:dm on Mac
- Easy to setup and use
- It lets you search for new users and start a conversation
- You can quote specific messages within the app
- 2-factor authentication is present
- You need to install it on your Mac system
- Some users have reported glitches
Method 3: Use Direct Message for Instagram Pro 4.4 (A feature-loaded app)
This app has been named perfectly, as it lets you send direct messages for Instagram. As this is an app, therefore, you can quickly send and receive Instagram messages on your Mac. Installing the app is pretty easy and setting it up barely requires a minute or two.
System Requirements to Use Direct Messages for Instagram Pro on your Mac
|Compatibility||OS X 10.9 or later, 64-bit processor|
|Supported Languages||English, German, Italian, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, French|
|File Size||24.73 MB|
- Click here to visit the official website and download the app on your computer.
- Open the app and install it. Now launch the app and you’ll be asked for your Instagram account credentials to log in.
- Once logged in, you’ll see a dashboard that exactly looks like the image attached below.
- You can click on any chat and initiate the conversation. You can also send new messages, and open a chat window for a particular chat.
Some Other Features offered by Direct Messages for Instagram Pro:
You can even send photos to chats. Click on the image-like icon on the bottom left of the Instagram chat, and select photos from your computer.
You Can Receive Notifications
Just like your smartphone, you can receive notifications on your Mac system with Direct Messages for Instagram. All you need to do is open the Notification Center when someone sends you a message.
This app has a menu-bar for easy access. You can quickly launch it and start chatting with your favorite Instagram contacts.
Pros and Cons of Using Direct Messages for Instagram Pro on Mac
- Easy to use
- You can send and receive photos
- You get push notifications on your Mac
- Bug and performance improvements are there in this version
- You cannot unfollow people with this app
- It lets you receive videos only
Method 4: Download Instagram Through BlueStacks
If you want to use Instagram on your PC with access to all features like DM, and more, you can do it using BlueStacks. While other apps only let you DM, the BlueStacks methods let you use all features you use on the smartphone application.
- Visit the official website of BlueStacks: https://www.bluestacks.com/ and download the latest version.
- Open the app and install it on your Mac computer. Once the app is installed, launch it and follow the on-screen instructions.
- As this is an Android emulator, it will ask you for your Gmail credentials to access the PlayStore and download apps from it.
- After signing in, click on the search bar, and enter Instagram. Now click on Install, and wait for the app to get downloaded within the emulator.
- Launch the app, enter your login credentials and you are good to go.
The app works exactly like it works on your smartphone. Therefore, you can send DMs, watch reels, and do a lot more.
Some Other Features offered by BlueStacks:
You Can Download More Apps
Apart from Instagram, you can download and use other Android apps on your Mac. Search for the app in the PlayStore and you can download them quickly.
Everything in One Place
As the apps install within the emulator, you don’t have to worry about managing them. Just launch the emulator and you’ll have everything in one place.
Pros and Cons of Using BlueStacks on Mac
- Safe and reliable
- Less glitches as compared to other emulators
- You can check out latest releases and apps coming soon
- It supports multiple languages
- Uninstalling the emulator will delete all apps
- It may lag a bit if you download several apps
If you wish to install Instagram on your Mac, you should download BlueStacks. The emulator lets you install the .apk version of Instagram, and you can access all features like you do on your smartphone.
First you need to configure your browser for it. Click on Safari from the menu bar, and choose preferences. Click on Show Develop Menu in the Menu bar, and look for Safari latest version for iOS. This will replicate the Safari mobile app on your PC. You can now visit Instagram’s official website and use the DM feature on your Mac.
Yes, plenty of apps such as Direct Message for Instagram Pro send you notifications on your Mac. You can also choose not to receive notifications by configuring these apps.
Now you know everything about Instagram DMs for Mac, so start sending messages to your favorite people and celebrities. All the methods explained in this article are tried-and-tested, and are safe to use on any Mac PC.
If you wish to get a mobile-app like experience, you should download BlueStacks Android Emulator. Lastly, for quickly accessing the DMs, you can visit the official website www.instagram.com.