AutoCAD is a design software useful for designers, architects, and construction professionals to make 2D and 3D drawings. It helps get a more realistic version of your design ideas and streamlines your work efficiently.
AutoCAD was initially available only for Windows users, but now there is a macOS version of the software. If you are wondering how to install and use AutoCAD on your Mac, you have landed on the right page.
Hence, keep reading this article to understand the features, system requirements, and installation procedure of AutoCAD for Mac.
What Is AutoCAD Used For?
As stated already, AutoCAD is design software used to make 2D geometry and 3D models with solid surfaces. The software lets you automate tasks like adding blocks, comparing drawings, counting objects, creating schedules, and much more with its numerous features.
The makers have added all the features in the Mac version that were initially there for Windows users. You can create a customized workspace that helps you streamline your work without going back and forth with your designs and structures.
System Requirement For Installing AutoCAD On Mac
For AutoCAD to work smoothly, you need to ensure your Mac meets these system requirements-
|Operating system||macOS® Big Sur v11, Mojave v10.14, Catalina v10.15 or High Sierra v10.13|
|CPU type||64-bit Intel CPU, or M1|
|Model||Apple Mac Pro 4.1, Macbook Pro 5.1, iMac 8.1, Mac Mini 3.1, Macbook 5.1, Macbook Air |
Recommended: Mac models supporting metal graphics engine
Mac models with M series chip
|Memory||4GB (recommended 8GB or higher)|
|Disk space||3GB to download and install|
|Display Resolution||Basic: 1280×800 display |
Recommended: 2880×1800 Retina display
|Pointing device||Apple compliant and Microsoft compliant mouse and Apple compliant trackpad|
|Disk format||APFS, APFS (Encrypted), Mac OS Extended (Journaled), Mac OS Extended (Journaled, Encrypted)|
|Display card||Mac native installed graphics card|
Extra Requirements For Point Clouds, Dataset and 3D Modeling
|Disk space||At least 6GB or more (excluding installation)|
|Memory||8GB RAM or more|
|Display card||3840×2161 (4K) or greater 4G VRAM or greater |
Pixel shader: 3.0 or greater
How To Install AutoCAD On Mac?
Now that you are aware of the features required to install AutoCAD on Mac let’s move ahead and see the steps for downloading the software-
- Visit the AutoDesk account page by clicking here
- Go to the all products and services tab and click on AutoCAD product to install
- Select versions and click on view downloads
- Download the Mac installer (dmg extension)
- Double click on the dmg file
- After that, the program will extract, which will run the installer.
- Choose install options and follow the prompts.
To install AutoCard products for versions 2016 and earlier,
- Enter the serial and product key
- Choose license type
- Click on continue and again follow the prompts.
- After AutoCard gets installed, you need to install the available service packs.
Features of AutoCAD for Mac
AutoCAD is a fantastic tool that helps complete projects faster. Here are some other excellent features the software has to offer; let’s have a look-
- The My Insight feature gives helpful tips to complete your work more efficiently and faster.
- The count command helps you track the geometry and blocks with automated counting.
- You can display drawing windows on multiple monitors with the floating windows feature.
- The markup import feature lets you import feedback from PDFs or paper and add changes automatically without altering your existing drawing.
- Share your drawing with your teammates and let them view or edit it from anywhere.
- Drawing history lets you compare your current and previous work. It helps track your progress and reminds you of any additional changes you need to make.
- With AutoCAD Quickly, you can view and access your blocks quickly on the desktop.
- With the AutoCAD mobile app, you can view, edit, and create new designs using the browser from anywhere.
- Transfer your AutoCAD drawing sheets as PDFs from AutoCAD to Autodesk docs.
- The 3D modeling and visualization let you create 3D models of your design using the solid, mesh, and surface modeling tools.
- You can use the visual styles to adjust and control the lighting and shading of the 3D models.
AutoCAD Subscription & Flex Plans For 2022
Here are the AutoCAD subscription plans you should know about-
|Monthly plan||235 USD|
|Yearly Plan||1,865 USD|
|For 3 years||5,315 USD|
|500 tokens ($3 per token)||1,500 USD|
|1000 tokens||3,000 USD|
|5000 tokens||14,625 USD|
|10,000 tokens||28,500 USD|
Follow the following steps to buy AutoCAD
- Choose either a subscription plan or tokens
- Click on add to cart
- Next, you have to sign in with your AutoCAD account credentials. If you don’t have an account already, you can create one.
- Click on next and add the payment method.
- Check the order summary and click on submit order.
If you have an online subscription, your AutoCAD license gets automatically renewed when the contract expires. The renewal price is deducted from the same payment method you used for taking the subscription.
Yes, you can use AutoCAD on both Mac and Windows with the same license if you subscribe to a paid plan.
Other CAD software that runs smoothly on Mac are FreeCAD, CoralCAD, Fusion 360, Onshape, LibreCAD, etc.
AutoCAD is an excellent software for making work easier for designers, architects, and anyone related to the design field. We have covered all details about the tool in this guide, which you should know before getting the app.
We will come up with more Mac-related guides, so make sure to keep watching this space. In case of any further queries about AutoCAD for Mac, ask them in the comments!